Case Study //: Afterburner Commence
Afterburner Commence was a long production. But I guess its because I took a bit of a break due to frustration of the artwork not coming out right. The file also ended up being really really big due to the fact that I was designing it in 300ppi.
Size //: 751MB .PSD file.
Dimension //: 20 in (w) by 50 in (h)
Layers //: 209 layers
Software //: Adobe Photoshop (75%), Illustrator (25%)
Production Time //: 35 Hours (approx.)
Please note: Case Study is NOT a step by step tutorial on how I did my project. It is just a case study of how the project was completed. In all honesty, only a designer who has excellent knowledge of the software I use would know how I achieved many of the steps. Thank you.
1. The first step is to actually import the picture and do my quickmasking / pentool extract process. I cut out the background of the model and just erase out the background.
2. All done. Now we are ready to apply special effects and some Photoshop magic.
3. Now I start to apply some digital make up effects and re-touch the photograph. I start off with a bit of eye shadow.
4. Here is me doing some lipstick digital painting. I make her lips glossy using the plastic wrap filter. You should check out my video tutorial on photo re-touching.
5. Done with the digital make up for now. I might go back and change the tone or add more if it’s needed.
6. I start to dye her hair and put some red highlights in it to follow up with my concept of flaming girl.
7. I start to put some fire images overlapping on the model. This is the beginning of the flaming effect done for Afterburner Commence. I use the multiply or screen blending mode to apply it so I don’t have to mask it out.
8. More fire effects over laying on top of the model and behind the model. I am starting to erase part flames I don’t need.
9. The above screenshot is of me creating flames that wrap around her legs. I use the TRANSFORM > WARP effect to achieve this. Although in the end it really didn’t work out too well.
9. This is what I have so far. It’s starting to look good overall but of course I am not 100% happy with it.
10. So I wasn’t all happy with the bottom part and I start to erase majority of the flames. I get the burn and dodge tool as well as the smudge tool to construct the flame to be more organic. I also used some brushes with the same color tone as the flame I got from a photograph.
11. What I have so far. I started to add flames around her arms. Again, I used brushes and the smudge tool.
12. This is a screenshot of me using brushes and trying to apply smoke. In the end I did not use most of the smoke effects I applied on here.
13. Adding more flames around the model. I probably spent about 75% of my production time with the flame effects.
14. My first attempt with typography effects on the art. Of course I ended up rejecting the above concept completely. It just didn’t look cool enough.
15. Above screenshot is something I was experimenting with but again rejected. I just threw it on here for the heck of it.
15. The typography is starting to come out real well.
16. My favorite part of the whole art piece.