Case Study //: Leviathan
Leviathan was actually born out of an experiment, and now the final product. It was fun and very inspiring. Took about 2 business days.
Size //: 220MB .PSD file.
Layers //: About 111 layers
Software //: Adobe Photoshop (75%), Illustrator (10%), Cinema 4D (15%)
Production Time //: 19 Hours (approx.)
Model //: Diane Mikaela
Please note: Case Study is NOT a step by step tutorial on how I did my project. It is just a case study of how the project was completed. In all honesty, only a designer who has excellent knowledge of the software I use would know how I achieved many of the steps. Thank you.
So I started off with the whole pen tool and quick mask thing. Cut the background off the model.
Being organized with my layers and color coding it.
Applying some make up and stuff. My favorite part of any project.
Now I start playing around with the background. A bit early to do this but I wanted to test it out.
I started to apply the water effect. This monochrome idea was kicked out pretty early in the project.
Finally going somewhere with the water thing.
Quickmasking water is not something I do. It’s a pain. So I used the old desaturate and brightness and contrast method, using screen layer blending.
I had this whole method of Mikaela stepping onto a puddle of sorts. I didn’t like it so I said good bye to it.
Good for now…
Ok so I lied about my favorite part being the make up part. My favorite is doing particles and beams.
I just absolutely love how this photo is working so well with the beams.
Getting some fishies and using the pentool and quickmasking, I cut it out of the background.
Using smart objects so I can re-size without quality loss. Of course I can only re-size up the point of the size of when it was pasted.
Applying more and more and more fishes.
Using the warp tool to make it look like fishes are wrapping around Mikaela.
Now we add the chinese dragon. I used the glowing edges filter to make it look translucent in a way. A bit of a translucent look.
So I decided to make the dragon more “meaner” looking. I illustrated his eyes with my wacom tablet.
Then added some flair coming out of its eyes and trailing behind it.
Now I play with brushes. I love this part too. I decided to add some bubbles all around Mikaela to make it look more “underwater” like.
I have… a butt load of brushes. Like really.
There was this one time, my scratch disk took off about 70 gigs of my HDD space. I kind of panicked a bit.