The Top 5 Camping Mattresses Reviewed
Many campers and hikers struggle with getting sound sleep while in the outdoors, even when their bodies are completely exhausted. That’s one of the reasons why owning a top-notch camping mattress or pad is essential. These mattresses provide the comfort your body needs so you can have an awesome next day. When you’re on the road, energy is everything.
When camping, a good night’s sleep is paramount for not only your physical health but also your mental wellbeing. Waking refreshed after an appropriate amount and level of sleep helps you tackle whatever lies your way while on the trail, campsite, or out and about the next day. Besides, nobody likes a crabby camper.
The National Sleep Foundation conducted a poll that rated a comfortable mattress as the most important factor to a good night’s sleep. Standard air mattresses can be bulky and require you to lug around a pump and batteries. If you’re on the lookout for something bigger and better in regards to camping mattresses, than look no further! Here we have compiled our picks for the best camping mattresses on the market today.
Best Camping Mattresses
Sleep ready in seconds with this twin size memory foam camping mattress that you just unclip and roll out to let unfold. The Better Habitat Sleep Ready Memory Foam Floor & Camping Mattress comes with a fitted waterproof cotton terry sheet and has a non-slip water resistant bottom, keeping you comfortable and stable all night long. This sleeping mat is much more convenient than typical air mattresses which require inflation, deflation, folding, and fitting, and takes up less space for your camping and other needs.
The solid 3-inch quality memory foam provides superior overall comfort and support, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility, and energy to promote better sleep habits while traveling. There is an included hypoallergenic cover which blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mold and mildew and gives you the soft and dry feel of breathable cotton terry. This mattress includes premium stitching and zippers. There is also a matching micro fleece plush blanket available for separate purchase.
The Better Habitat Sleep Ready Memory Foam Floor & Camping Mattress is portable and versatile, featuring an easy to carry handle and top entry bag for stress-free loading and storing. This mattress makes a great option as a rollaway bed for guests, camping, college dorms, or an overnight stay. There are so many possibilities for this mattress’ use; it can even be used as a yoga mat and crash pad. There is also a kid’s version now available that is a backpack style with overnight pockets to store gear.
The twin size mattress measures 75 x 36 x 3 inches, weighs about 17 pounds, and the manufacturer states that it is best used by sleepers weighing up to 230 pounds. The cover is removable and machine washable. This mattress is free from vinyl, PVC, phthalates, fire-retardants, and other chemicals. The manufacturer offers a 12 month warranty against manufacturer defects.
One satisfied purchaser of the Better Habitat Sleep Ready Memory Foam Floor & Camping Mattress stated that this mattress is a super convenient option compared to the traditional air mattress she was using, and that the mattress is very supportive and not thin. One customer stated that although this mattress is definitely not a backpacking type pad, it is perfect for car camping or overnight guests but it does take up a bit of room.
- SLEEP READY in SECONDS: (i) UNCLIP & ROLL OUT. (ii) Comes w/ fitted WATERPROOF cotton terry sheet & Non-slip water resistant bottom. (iii) Premium stitching, fasteners, & zippers. (iv) Our sleeping mat is much more CONVENIENT than an air mattress.
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, fire retardants, & ozone depleters. (ii) Low VOC emissions for indoor air quality. (iii) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (iv) Hypoallergenic cover blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mold & mildew and gives you the soft & dry feel of breathable cotton terry.
- PORTABLE & VERSATILE - SEE VIDEO ON LEFT: (i) Easy to carry handle. (ii) Top entry travel bag for easy loading. (iii) Great rollaway bed for guests, camping, college dorms, or an overnight stay (imagine the possibilities)
- NATIONAL SLEEP FOUNDATION'S POLL RATED A COMFORTABLE MATTRESS AS #1 MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR TO A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP: (i) Our solid 3" quality memory foam provides superior overall comfort & support, (ii) reduced joint pain & (iii) improved health, mobility & energy.
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) Twin size @ 75 x 36 x 3 inches; best use up to 230 lbs. (ii) Machine washable, removable cover. (iii) 12-Month Warranty on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect.
Campers will sleep like royalty on the luxurious Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress. This mattress is Therm-a-Rest’s biggest, thickest and most comfortable sleeping pad with a plush yet breathable sleeping surface. The Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress is available in two sizes: Large, which is 77 x 25 inches and giant XX-Large, which measures 80 x 30 inches.
The mattress provides 4 inches of stabilized loft for the comfort of home anywhere you may roam. This mattress features vertical sidewalls that maximize the usable sleep surface, creating 20% more usable sleep surface so you have room to sleep like a starfish. The fabric for this mattress has been updated to a supple, stretch-knit that provides deluxe breathability and a posh sleeping surface, boasting a foam core that delivers all-season warmth with an R-value of 11.4. R-value measures the material’s ability to insulate, so the higher the R-value, the warmer the sleeping pad will be.
The Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress has dual valves that allow the compressible foam core to expand and inflate quickly when unpacked and only requires a few breaths for ideal firmness. This mattress mates perfectly with other Therm-a-Rest 3D mattresses so everyone in your tent can sleep comfortably and soundly all night.
The Large size measures 77 x 25 x 4 inches, packs to 26 x 9 inches, and weighs 5 pounds 8 ounces, and the XX-Large size measures 80 x 30 x 4 inches, packs down to 31 x 9 inches, and weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces. There is a stuff sack included for easy storage and moving, it is made in the USA, and the manufacturer provides a limited lifetime warranty on this product.
Many satisfied buyers of the Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D Self-Inflating Foam Camping Mattress stated that even though this mattress is quite large upon inflation, it was exactly what they wanted for their ideal comfort levels and camping needs, and it provides excellent support. One individual was impressed with this mattress’ insulation factor and comfort, stating they have some physical issues but slept great without any aches and pains the next day.
- Campers sleep like royalty on the luxurious MondoKing 3D, Therm-a-Rest’s thickest and most comfortable sleeping pad with a plush, yet breathable sleeping surface
- Mattress provides 4 inches of stabilized loft for the comfort of home anywhere; vertical sidewalls maximize usable sleep surface
- Supple stretch-knit fabric covers a deluxe sleeping surface that is both breathable and plush; foam core delivers all-season warmth
- Dual valves allow compressible foam core to expand and inflate when unpacked; mate perfectly with a second mattress to create an extra-large sleeping pad for two people
- Large size measures 77x25x4 inches, packs to 26x9 inches and weighs 5.5 pounds; stuff sack included; limited lifetime warranty; made in the USA
Your comfortable journey begins with top quality sleep, which is what the QOMOTOP Double Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad, Camping Mattress provides. This self-inflating mattress is available in multiple sizes: Single measures 80 x 52 x 4 inches and weighs 7.5 pounds, and the Double size measures 80 x 52 x 4 inches and weighs 13.6 pounds.
The QOMOTOP Double Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad, Camping Mattress provides a cloud-level of sleep comfort, featuring 4 inches of thick PU foam, and you can adjust the firmness of the bed with inflation. It is so soft and comfortable, and the Double size is suitable for two people to share.
The mattress is sealed so that the firmness can be adjusted by a patented double-way intake air valve. It is equipped with a circular, spiral-groove universal air nozzle, which releases one-way ventilation through a rotary air valve. This avoids the trouble of frequently adjusting the air valve during packing up. To operate, just simply turn the valve core for inflation or deflation. Thus, there is no trouble to add or let out air, making this mattress an excellent option for any body type and is easily able to be set at your particular comfort level.
This mattress features a flexible tricot fabric on top, with a wave punched surface. The surface of the mattress is covered in TPU film, which is safer and more environmentally friendly than standard materials. This provides a non-toxic water-resistant protective barrier to the mattress. Binding webbing is included as well as a convenient storage and carry bag, which can also be used as a pump for convenient adjustment of pressure by just inflating the bag and connecting it to the valve.
As with similar mattresses included in this list, due to its weight this mattress may not be suitable for one day camping or a backpacking journey. However, it is usable both indoors and outdoors, and makes a great choice for family camping or as a guest bed. The manufacturer offers a service warranty for three years for the pad.
Numerous customers stated that they have experienced poor quality of sleep in the past with typical camping and air mattresses, but this mattress was different. Unlike traditional air or camping mattresses, the QOMOTOP Double Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad, Camping Mattress is much thinner but also has a nice, cushiony outer layer that is very comfortable and better at distributing weight since it blows out any excess air, making it both supportive and comfortable at the same time. One pleased buyer stated this mattress exceeded their expectations, noting the material of the mattress is durable, nontoxic, and very comfortable to sleep on.
- ☁【Cloud-level Comfort Experience】- The mattress can be up to 4 inches thick when inflated, soft and comfortable, and the side sleeper can also get a comfortable experience. Lying on the mattress can experience the softness like lying on the clouds. The softness of the mattress can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the amount of inflation to meet your ideal need for sleep.
- 💗【Large Size but Easy to Store】- The mattress size is 80"×52", providing enough space for two people. The interior of the mattress is composed of PU foam and a certain gap, and weighs 13.8 pounds, so it is not suitable for backpacking or short-distance light travel. However, due to the inflatable design of the mattress, it can be compressed and folded to a more suitable size for storage and carrying. Compared with the traditional memory foam mattress, it is more space-saving and lightweight.
- 🎁【Sleep Anywhere You Want】- Whether you are a camping fan or a hospitable person who often has guests at home, this mattress can perfectly meet your needs. If you love family camping or traveling by car, he will bring you home-like comfort and help you relieve the fatigue of the journey. If there are frequent visitors in your home, then he will make your guests fall in love with the feeling of sleeping on it.
- ✌【Patented Valve & Dual-use Bag】- The mattress valve adopts a patented two-way valve, which realizes one-way ventilation, avoiding the trouble of continuous influx of external air into the folding when the mat is folded. The storage bag that comes with the mattress is also an inflatable bag. You can use the bag to inflate the mattress to increase the efficiency of inflating the mattress. No air pump or mouth is needed to inflate the mattress.
- 🍀【Environmentally Friendly and Durable】- The surface of the mattress is equipped with TPU film to ensure the tightness. TPU materials are environmentally friendly, non-toxic, wear-resistant and resistant to twists and turns. The 3D wavy surface, when you lie down, can perfectly fit the body curve, eliminate the fatigue of the day, and let you enjoy the fun of camping.
The WELLAX UltraThick FlexFoam Sleeping Pad provides the optimal comfort and warmth that your body needs for getting a good night’s rest. Make your camp mornings perfect with no more back pain or annoying discomfort from rocky terrain or bumps underneath you during your sleep, as the UltraThick FlexFoam supports your weight and keeps you comfortable with an innovative foam frame that perfectly combines the high-loft comfort found in a foam mattress and the compressibility of air pads. Rolling over or sleeping on your side is no problem, because the WELLAX UltraThick FlexFoam Sleeping Pad will not wobble or bottom out.
This mattress is compact and lightweight, making it an excellent option perfect for any outdoor activity like backpacking, traveling, or camping. Self-inflating convenience meets air mattress comfort in this mattress to create the perfect camping mattress. It offers high-loft comfort being 3 inches thick, is very compact with a 31 x 8 inch pack size, weighs only 7 pounds, and vaunts an increased 9.5 R-value. The inflated size of this mattress is 77 x 28 x 3 inches, making your camping trips more comfortable and feeling like you are sleeping in your own bed.
The WELLAX UltraThick FlexFoam Sleeping Pad exhibits a revolutionary tear-resistant design, with a laminated 20D rip-stop nylon and a TPU layer. These materials provide a good balance between a lighter weight and durability. It is virtually silent, waterproof, abrasion and tear resistant, and reflects back radiant heat to the sleeper. There is no more crinkly or squeaky noise coming from the mattress, making for a more restful night’s sleep. This is the ideal pad for using in a tent, sleeping bag, or any floor or hard surface.
Advanced self-inflating technology includes two valves, making this pad easy and quick to inflate and deflate. Say goodbye to your old sleeping pad that required either a pump or lots of breaths and effort to inflate. For extra cushioning, you can add two to three extra breaths. The patent pending WELLAX UltraThick FlexFoam Sleeping Pad also has an R-value of 9.5, making it a wonderful all-season sleep mattress option that has a preposterous warmth to weight ratio and a more durable bottom layer of fabric than comparable mattresses.
Included with the mattress is two compressing straps and a convenient carry bag. The manufacturer states that making you a happy customer is their main goal, so they offer a risk-free purchase experience. Just try the mattress, and if you don’t absolutely love it, send them a message and they will refund or replace your purchase with no hassle.
One reviewer stated that this product is comfortable and self inflates as advertised. In addition, he confirms the covering is water resistant, but the mattress is a bit heavier and bulkier than others in its class. Overall, reviewers were positive that this is a good product as long as space and weight are not an issue for your needs. One gentleman recommends leaving this mattress inflated for a few days once you get it to help with self-inflation in the future.
- WELLAX COMFORT PLUS SLEEPING PAD provides the optimal Comfort and Warmth your body needs for getting a good night's rest. Make your camp mornings perfect - NO MORE Back-pain or annoying Discomfort from rocky terrain or bumps underneath during your sleep as your weight is supported by the UltraFlex Memory Foam mattress. Roll over or sleep on your side on a WellaX Camping Mat and you won't wobble or bottom out.
- COMPACT and LIGHTWEIGHT: Self-inflating convenience meets air mattress comfort to create the perfect camp mattress for you. The high-loft comfort (3” inch thick), the compactness (27”x8”), the convenience and the increased 9.5 R-Value. Your hiking trips will be comfortable and you will be sleeping like in your own bed. Inflated size is 77” x 28” x 3”, perfect for any outdoor activity like backpacking, traveling or camping;
- REVOLUTIONARY DESIGN - TEAR RESISTANT: Laminated 20D Rip-stop Nylon and the TPU Layer, used only for strongest camping equipment. Provides a good balance between comfort and durability. It is Virtually SILENT, WATERPROOF, abrasion / tear resistant and reflects back radiant heat to the sleeper. No more crinkly or squeaky noise, your perfect pad for using in your tent, sleeping bag, or any floor or hard surface;
- EASY TO INFLATE AND DEFLATE: Advanced SELF INFLATING technology that includes 2 valves, making it quicker to inflate or deflate. Say goodbye to your old sleeping pad that required either a pump or lots of breaths and effort to inflate. The PATENT PENDING WellaX Sleeping Pad has a R-value of 9.5, making it the perfect All-Season Mat;
- NO RISK PURCHASE - Making you a happy customer is our main goal. Just try it, and if you don't absolutely Love it, send us a message and we will Refund or Replace your Purchase, NO QUESTIONS ASKED
Lightspeed Outdoors has a passion for adventure. Lightspeed was established in 2009 in sunny San Diego, California with the vision of creating highly durable, easy to use products that are fun and functional so you can get to what’s most important – spending time outdoors. Whether your passion brings you to the beach or the mountains, warm weather or cold, Lightspeed Outdoors has something for every adventure.
The Lightspeed Outdoors XL Super Plush FlexFoam Premium Self-Inflating Sleep and Camp Pad offers plush softness that cradles the body. The 3-inch thick foam mat offers a soft and warm surface for sleeping outdoors or away from home. This mat self-inflates, with the option to add air for more firmness.
Well-known in athletic apparel, stretch jersey feels great and performs in tough conditions. Lightspeed’s new Outdoors XL Super Plush FlexFoam Premium Self-Inflating Sleep and Camp Pad features a sleeping surface with stretch fabric that conforms to your body for a uniquely comfortable experience. This mattress is comprised of PVC-free materials that eliminate plastic and other harmful odors, and has TPU lamination for water and allergen resistance. There is an integrated pillow for additional comfort, dual valves for easy inflation and deflation, and holds an R-value of 9.66 for maximum warmth.
At 3 inches thick, this pad offers both deluxe thickness and generous size. This mattress is great for those that turn while sleeping, want the most support, or plan to sleep in cold weather. The soft foam in this pad automatically expands when unrolled to eliminate the need for a pump. You can add a few breaths of air for to customize the level of support you want. Both valves can be opened for faster deflation. The mattress rolls and packs away conveniently in the included stuff sack for transport and storage.
The Lightspeed Outdoors XL Super Plush FlexFoam Premium Self-Inflating Sleep and Camp Pad is the ultimate in camp pad luxury. With open dimensions of 77 x 30 x 3 inches and 3.5 inches at the pillow, this sleep pad provides plenty of room to spread out and roll around. Its packed size is 30 x 7.75 x 7.75 inches, it only weighs 6 pounds, and is available in two colors: Teal or Dark Blue. The FlexForm material melds with your body and equalizes the varying pressures of your head, neck, shoulders, and hips and adapts to your body temperature to provide all-climate comfort.
A satisfied customer stated that this mattress was way better than the PVC inflatable bed that he was using, and was more comfortable and reliable with no sagging or leaks. One user recommends not trying to roll this mattress back up properly the first time it is used. Instead, they mentioned using a two-phase approach: first, roll it big and fat after the first use, and then squeeze as much air out at the end with your knees; next, re-cap the valves tightly; then, unroll it, and then re-roll tightly with the valve caps still tight; now, squeeze the remaining air to the end like a tube of toothpaste; finally, re-open one valve at the end of the roll to squeeze out all of the remaining air and recap.
- Open size: 77" x 30" x 3" Rolled size: 30" x 7.75" Weight: 6.0 lbs
- Maximum R-Value of 9.66 keeps you exceptionally warm; Lightspeed's special non slip stretch material hugs your body, while the 3" thick no bottoming out soft foam offers insulation and support. Non-PVC materials eliminates plastic odors and plastic crinkle noises for a more peaceful night sleep
- Dual oversize air valves for quick self inflating and deflating without the need for a pump
- Integrated pillow for additional comfort, included compression straps and oversized carry bag
- A great substitution to an air bed or mattress; Perfect for family camping or visiting guests
What Makes A Camping Mattress Good?
This YouTube video does a good job of explaining what to look for in a camping mattress:
Last Updated on