Top Folding Mattresses Reviewed
Sometimes you need an extra mattress for guests, but don’t want an extra bed that is always taking up space. Air mattresses used to be your only solution, but they are uncomfortable and can also be cold.
But now there is another option that offers both comfort and convenience – a folding mattress.
The best folding mattresses use memory foam for comfort as they are usually only a few inches thick and double as a mattress topper. If you have guests overnight often, then a folding mattress is a reasonable option. Still, it’s not an excellent option for every night of sleep for anyone, but a teenager or a child as adults just need more comfort for aching bones and bigger frames.
However, folding mattresses work in many capacities, not just as a sleeping space. You can use a folding mattress for yoga, physical therapy, as a lounge space, in an RV or tiny home, as a mattress topper, for playing video games, and so much more. Folding mattresses give you options you wouldn’t have otherwise.
Give yourself the gift of convenience with an extra space for kids to sleep for sleepovers or when a guest shows up. You don’t have to dedicate a whole room to space stealing bed or sofa bed. We did all the research to rank the best options so you can get ready for guests instead of searching for a folding mattress. We go over each of the mattresses in detail in our buyers guide below, but for those in a hurry here are our top picks:
Best Folding Mattress
We understand that finding a comfortable mattress that folds can seem like a daunting task. To help you get the best one for both your back and budget we researched the top models on the market, and came up with our picks for the best folding mattress:
Get a comfortable night of sleep on the Millard Memory Foam Tri-Fold Mattress. Using this mattress couldn’t be easier as you simply unfold the three parts into a flat mattress and put on the bedding of your choice. It’s the perfect choice for sleepovers, guests, mobile homes, tents, and other places that require portable bedding.
The best part of a folding foam mattress is you can fold it up and store it out of the way in less than a minute. If you want to get creative, you could sew up a cover and turn this into an ottoman when you aren’t using it as a bed. As it uses memory foam, this mattress offers extreme comfort no matter what you use it for in your home or even an RV.
Get all of the therapeutic qualities and comfort of memory foam, including ventilation for airflow, targeted support, and to regulate sleep temperature. The mattress offers 6-inches of memory foam and measures 78 x 38 x 6 when laid flat and just 38 x 26 x 18 when folded in thirds with a weight of 27. 5 pounds. To provide the best support, the mattress has 4 1/2 inches of polyurethane foam with a 1 1/2 inch layer of memory foam for balance and longevity.
Next, the cover includes a removable jacquard extra-soft bamboo cover with slip-resistance on the bottom to cover the three pounds of luxurious memory foam.
It’s also CertiPUR-US to guarantee quality. This ensures the mattress is free from CFC’s ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, lead, mercury, VOC’s and more. The only real complaint is the mattress is too soft and better for children than for adults.
- The Milliard Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress allows you to get a comfortable night's sleep wherever you go. Simply unfold the foam bed on the floor in any room, mobile home, or tent for a comfortable night's sleep. This bed easily accommodates all your sleeping needs then folds neatly away for storage in seconds.
- Memory foam is known for the therapeutic qualities and comfortable support. The Milliard tri-fold mattress is ventilated for air flow to help regulate sleep temperature for maximum support and comfort. Available in Twin, Full and Queen Size.
- The Milliard Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress is the ideal solution to temporary sleeping accommodations. Perfect for unexpected sleep over guests, family reunion, dorm rooms, camping and traveling.
- The Milliard 6in. tri-fold mattress is constructed of 1.5in. of 3lb luxurious memory foam over a 4.5 inch supportive foam base for a great sleep experience. Our CertiPUR certified premium memory foam supersedes all with superior high density construction that will not lose its shape.
- Mattress includes removable jacquard ultra-soft bamboo cover with anti-slip bottom. Mattress in flat position measures 78in.x38in.x6in. When folded it measures 38in.x26in.x18in.
If you want a compact mattress that’s easy to store, try the Better Habitat SleepReady Mattress. It’s got one major difference between the other mattresses, it doesn’t fold, but instead, it rolls for storage, which means you can squish it down as much as possible for a more compact storage option. You get an extremely easy to set up the mat with no lines, no seams, and no effort!
The bottom of the mat doubles as an anti-slip and as protection when rolled up, and it’s waterproof. It has two straps on the bottom to clip it together when in the rolled position. On top, the fabric is cotton Terry cloth to cover the 3 inches of quality memory foam for superior comfort and support.
Memory foam has many benefits, including comfort, reduced joint pain, support, hypoallergenic, and it cradles your body. Ad in the versatility of folding it up, and you get an extremely comfortable option for guests to sleep on for short overnight stays. The mattress comes in three sizes, including kids, twin, and this one that is a single size and measures 75 x 25 x 3 inches. At 13.4 pounds, the superior fabric can support up to 230 pounds. Moreover, you can remove the cover to give it a wash.
Finally, the memory foam rollup mattress is free from vinyl, PVC, phthalates, fire-retardants, and other chemicals. It’s a little known secret, but bugs hate pure memory foam, including bed bugs. This mattress also has a storage bag to put it in for storage with a huge handle so you can sling it over your shoulder. It also comes with a one year warranty.
- SLEEP READY in SECONDS: (i) UNCLIP & ROLL OUT. (ii) Comes w/ fitted WATERPROOF cotton terry sheet & Non-slip water resistant bottom. (iii) Premium stitching, fasteners, & zippers. (iv) Our sleeping mat is much more CONVENIENT than an air mattress.
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, fire retardants, & ozone depleters. (ii) Low VOC emissions for indoor air quality. (iii) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (iv) Hypoallergenic cover blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mold & mildew and gives you the soft & dry feel of breathable cotton terry.
- PORTABLE & VERSATILE - SEE VIDEO ON LEFT: (i) Easy to carry handle. (ii) Top entry travel bag for easy loading. (iii) Great rollaway bed for guests, camping, college dorms, or an overnight stay (imagine the possibilities)
- NATIONAL SLEEP FOUNDATION'S POLL RATED A COMFORTABLE MATTRESS AS #1 MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR TO A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP: (i) Our solid 3" quality memory foam provides superior overall comfort & support, (ii) reduced joint pain & (iii) improved health, mobility & energy.
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) Single size @ 75 x 25 x 3 inches; best use up to 230 lbs. (ii) Machine washable, removable cover. (iii) 12-Month Warranty on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect.
Not only is the Modway Relax Tri-Fold Mattress foldable, but it’s also a great bargain. The mattress measures 25 x 75 x 4 inches for a kid’s size but also comes in twin, twin xl, and at full size at 31 x 75 x 4 for larger guests. When you are done with it, fold it in thirds and store it in a closet.
As this is memory foam, when it first arrives rolled up, you will need to give it 2-4 hours to expand. The foam is CertiPUR-US certified without formaldehyde, heavy metals, PBDEs, flame retardants, and VOCs. At just eleven pounds, this mattress can hold up to 400 pounds making it an excellent option for adults with a soft removable cover, a half an inch toper of memory foam, and 3.5 inches of responsive base foam.
Last of all, the removable cover offers a soft non-slip removable cover. Toss it in the wash when it gets dirty, but remember to take it off the foam first! You can also use this as a mattress topper to avoid replacing a mattress sooner.
- COMFORTABLE SLEEP - Enjoy reliable support with the dual-layer Relax 4 in foldable mattress topper. Better than an air mattress, take it with you on your RV or camper. The blow-up mattress replacement
- FOLDING MATTRESS TOPPER - Relax 25” x 75” tri-fold mattress comes rolled and vacuum-sealed in a box. Prop against the wall as an extra lounge chair in the living room. Easily folds away
- PLAY MATTRESS - Forget the air mattress. Relax is a travel size mattress topper that doubles as a play mattress in the living room or camping mattress on family trips. Expands in 2-4 hours
- INDEPENDENTLY TESTED - The foam inside is CertiPUR-US certified so you can be sure it’s made without formaldehyde, heavy metals, PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (”Tris”) flame retardants, and is low on VOC
- MATTRESS TOPPER DIMENSIONS - Removable patterned soft cover with non-slip bottom. In Flat Position: 25" W x 75" L x 4" L; When Folded: 25" W x 25" L x 12" H; Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 lbs
The Portable Mattress by Compact Technologies comes in not just a kid-size but a full-grown adult size ready to hold not one but two adults. As long as you have the space, you for this foldable 58 x 80 x 6-inch thick queen-sized mattress that weighs just 20.5 in your house or tiny home to fill your sleeping needs. The options are endless to give adults space even in a tent.
Like with the last couple of options, this one comes in memory foam as well for as much comfort as is possible. With six-inches of foam, you get a four-inch firm foam base with two inches of memory on foam for support and comfort. The mattress won’t bottom out even for people who sleep on their sides.
Moreover, the mattress includes a cover, and as a queen size, you can fold the mattress in half, shove it against a wall and give teens or kids an extra space to sit when they have friends over. It also has an easy to remove, double-stitched cover made of and a storage case made of Oxford Fabric. No matter who comes over or where you go, sleep comfortably.
- Fold Up Portable Mattress: Happy customers say our Queen-sized portable mattress gives friends and family a high-end sleeping experience at home, in the RV, as well as tent camping or a vacation rental; With our trifold design this travel bed is built to fold up and pack away when not in use
- Comfy Queen Guest Mattress: Your Memory Foam Mattress folds out to give your guests a comfy Queen-sized floor mattress that supports without bottoming out (even when side-sleeping), And our thick foam will keep guests warm on cold tiles, so you’ll never feel guilty about letting guests sleep on your floor
- 6-Inch Memory Foam Queen Mattress Comfort: Customers say this thick 2-Layer design and Queen sized comfort has them sleeping like a baby; Our unique multi-density mattress uses a firm 4-inch base for full support that makes seams unnoticeable, then we top it with 2 inches of Soft Air Memory Foam (50% more than competitors), that cradles hips, knees and backs - in fact, customers report that they’re sleeping pain-free all night
- Tri-Fold Floor Mattress & Cover: Our space-saving Queen-sized mattress lets you avoid clunky futons; In 2 simple moves your Queen sized mattress sets up into ‘couch’ position, giving you instant seating for movies or card games; Plus it packs away into the Bonus Oxford Fabric (600D) Carry Pack for storage that’s ideal for urban apartments
- Travel & Camp Mattress: Travelers use our camp mattress to stay warm and comfy on cold bumpy ground; The 58x80 inch size fits nicely into tents and vans, and unlike air mattresses, this doesn’t need a pump (and will never leak), Plus our rugged double-stitched washable cover cleans up fast (just unzip and machine wash) for years of comfort wherever your adventures take you
With the Magshion Trifold Mattress, you get tons of options all for a reasonable price. The first thing you need to pick is your size, and you can choose from twin, full or queen, but we will focus on full as its a great size for two people with a smaller space. Next, you need to pick your color, and you have so many choices! Pick red, orange, greens, teals, browns, pinks, purples, and more, so you can tailor your spare mattress to your design scheme.
From dorm rooms to Japanese dining tables, to a spare sleeping bed, the four-inch-thick mattress will meet your needs. It’s covered in 100% polyester over three-inches of base phone and a one-inch memory foam topper. The bottom of each mattress, no matter which color, the company uses black fabric on the bottom.
Furthermore, the mattress measures 54 x 75 x 4 when folded out as a bed and folded. It measures 54 x 25 x 12 making it a decent chair or lounger for teens, pets, or around a low table. It only weighs nine pounds, so it’s easy enough to move around your house or tiny home to anywhere you need. A cover would make it work better as an ottoman too.
The only reason this mattress isn’t higher on the list is it doesn’t have a removable cover. As such, consider how messy your children are before making a purchase. The mattress also doesn’t come with a carrying case, which definitely makes life easier.
- Unique Memory Foam mattress will provide deep, relaxing sleep every night
- 4 Inch Thickness Support 3 Inch High Density Base Foam And 1 Inch Memory Foam on Topper
- Cover Material: 100% polyester / Spot Wash
- 2 Tones Color (Black On the Bottom) / Made In USA
- Full Size: 54"W x 75"L x 4"H (Folding/Chair: 54"W x 25"L x 12"H)
The Best Choice Products Folding Mattress comes with tons of wonderful features but ranks lower because it does not have the ever so wonderful memory foam. However, you can pick from twin, full, or queen size to suit your needs better, all for a respectable price. Moreover, unlike the other options, this one folds over in a way to provide a backrest, so the foam can work as a low couch or a mattress.
Besides the missing memory foam, the mattress comes with so many wonderful benefits. First, it has four-inch high-density foam for support and comfort that also eliminates dust, dander, moisture, and pollen. Second, it has two built-in handles to make moving it around much easier. Third, it comes with a carrying case to store the four-section mattress.
Even better, the cover comes off and can get tossed in the washing machine and the dryer for easy maintenance. It does take up to three days for the mattress to reach the full four inches of height once you take it out of the pack. From there, you can expect the measures of 75 x 53 x 4-inch when laid flat and 53 x 25 x 16-inches when folded in the full-size. Finally, it weighs just 19.3 pounds, which is easy enough for adults to move as needed.
- 4IN HIGH-DENSITY FOAM: Soft yet firm high-density foam provides maximum comfort and padding while protecting your mattress from dust, pollen, pet dander, moisture, and other pollutants
- MULTIPURPOSE: Great as a convenient guest bed, a comfy camping bed, or as a floor sofa during movie nights and gatherings with friends and family
- PORTABLE AND SPACE-SAVING: Simply slip the included carrying case over the portable, tri-fold mattress and zip it up to keep it neat and secure while you travel
- WASHABLE COVER: The removable cover is machine-washable and dryer-friendly for easy care and maintenance
- EASY SETUP: Open package in well-ventilated area to release harmless odor that should dissipate within several hours. Wait 24-72 hours for maximum expansion; FLAT: 75"(L) x 53"(W) x 4"(Thick); FOLDED: 53"(L) x 25"(W) x 16"(H)
The Cozzzi Tri-Fold Folding Mattress offers a convenient option to fix your lounging and sleeping issues without an air mattress or a dedicated guest bed. Cozzzi hasn’t caught up with the newest technology just yet and hasn’t added memory foam to their tri-fold mattress. They do offer their product in two different sizes, including 75 x 25 inches and 75 x 31 inches to serve as a slightly smaller than a twin and a twin size.
Next, the mattress uses high-density foam to create a comfortable cushion for sleeping because of it’s therapeutic benefits. It provides a firm but plush sleeping or lounging space that’s lightweight to carry easily. Take it anywhere you go from yoga class to a campground, or even your tiny home for a guest. It’s a fantastic option for so many different needs that you may find it indispensable in your home.
Lastly, the zippered cover comes off in less than a minute so you can put it into the washing machine and the dryer. Slip it back on to the four-inch mattress, and it’s ready to use again. It does not come with a carrying case though. Use this non-memory foam mattress for children or teens but not for adults for sleeping as it doesn’t offer quite enough comfort for snoozing for more than a night.
- COMES IN HANDY IN ANY SITUATION: Our tri-fold mattress is a convenient & comfortable alternative to air mattresses? It folds and unfolds with little effort and is great for your guests, travelling, camping & more.
- SOFT AND AIRY TOP LAYER: This foldable mattress is made from high density foam which is known for its therapeutic benefits. It is super firm and extremely comfortable for you to enjoy a great night of sleep.
- COMPACT & EASY TO TRAVEL WITH: Take this mat with you; it easily folds to fit into compact spaces for easy transport and is super lightweight making it easy to carry around, whether to travel or to the gym.
- VERSATILE USES: This is perfect as a spare bed, or as a sleeping mat, floor mattress, yoga, Pilates or exercise mat, futon mattress, or for a children's play area.
- EASY TO CLEAN: The zippered cover can be easily removed in seconds and is even machine washable. Simply zip it off, pop it in the washer and it is good as new. You can’t do that with a futon!
If size is your main concern, check out the Best Price Mattress Topper Folding Bed, as it comes in ten different sizes to work for anyone’s available space. The sizes including extra small, small, twin, twin xl, full, short queen, queen, king, and even California king. Even though it’s a topper, it’s the same thicknesses as the majority of the other options on this list.
The reasonably priced mattresses fit into many different budgets and include memory foam. With the king size, you get 1.5 inches of memory foam on top and 2.5 inches of the high-density base for support and added comfort. It also comes with a 100% poly-Jacquard zippered cover with an anti-slip bottom. You can take off and toss in the washing machine on cool and gentle.
The company even includes a five-year warranty to ensure the quality of the product. As another bonus, it comes with an herbal infusion to enhance the room and possibly your health. Although some customers do not like the smell. If you are sensitive to scents, you may need to choose another option.
Another great feature is the mattress comes with CertiPur-US foam, so you know it’s a quality product. Last of all, the mattress measures 80 x 76 x 4-inches in the king-size with a weight of 31.4 pounds. It’s ready to go where you go or serve as a short-term folding guest bed or as an excellent option for tiny living.
- 1.5" Memory foam top layer + 2.5" high-density base foam layer for added comfort and support
- Great for camping, overnight guests, car trips and sleepovers
- 100% poly-Jacquard zippered cover with slip-proof bottom (machine washable cool/gentle)
- CertiPUR-US Certified memory and high-density foam
- 5-year warranty included
Those concerned about budget should check out the Millard Tri-Fold Mattress that folds into a low couch. This option only comes in twin XL and measures 78 x 38 x 4.5 inches with high ratings. As it turns into a seat with a back, kids or teens could use this for gaming, reading, camping, or lounging.
The mattress comes with high-density foam but lacks memory foam but does come with CertiPUR-US foam to ensure quality. You can store this mattress in tight spaces, like a teen’s messy bedroom, as it measures 38 x 29 x 14-inches when folded up into a couch. It even has breathable mesh fabric and velcro straps to keep the couch folded up.
Four inches of foam create 21 pounds of weight, making this a lightweight option for your home or even in a dorm room. The cover does come off so you can wash it, but be careful to use only the gentle cycle and let it air dry to keep the material from ripping. As such, you should consider using this is a room away from food and drink.
- Simple, but elegant alternative when full-size sofa beds aren't an option.
- Great for apartment dwellers, college dorms, family dens and when your traveling or anywhere else space is limited.
- Great for Video gaming, reading a book or camping and of course sleeping. Includes a removable and machine-washable soft cover!
- Made out of CertiPUR-US? Certified high density Foam so your bed dosn't sag and is light and portable enough for use while travelling.
- Size: 78"x38"x4? (Twin XL). Storage Dimensions are 38"x29"x14 which makes it easy to store in tight spaces.
If you have the money and want a couch mattress, take a peak at the Maxdivani Bed Couch. It comes in four neutral colors, including three shades of gray and navy blue. You also can pick between a queen or twin size, but we will focus on the queen size.
The unique design comes in two sections to fold in half with the smaller side serving as the back of the low couch. Flip it back to the floor to create a bed for guests that measures 80 x 60 x 8-inches. That’s two inches more than the thickest mattress on this list. It even has multi-layers for structured support.
With 50D memory foam and high-end density memory foam, you get tons of support while using this mattress as either a sleeper or a cozy mini couch. You also get a removable and machine washable couch cover. Also, this is the heaviest option at 42.8 pounds, making it a solid option, but customers found the mattress not sized well and slightly flimsy.
- 【 Foldable sofa bed】 The compact tri-fold mattress is a Memory Foam Multi-Function Sofa for a wide range of applications. It can be easily folded and carry, perfect for travel, camping, you can turn it into a comfortable seat and fold it into a temporary sofa.Easily stored away when not in use thanks to folding design.
- 【 High quality & Comfortable】 Made of 8" Mulit-layer, 50D Memory Foam Super Slim Rebound Sponge,Premium high-density Memory foam with a firm, supportive feel. which is known for its therapeutic benefits - provides optimal support for your back and neck, ensuring a full night of uninterrupted rest.
- 【Easy to clean and removable cover】 The Sofa Bed Couches Sleeper Sofas cover of our folding mattress is very easy to remove and is machine washable, guaranteeing that you can keep it clean with no trouble at all.
- 【Convertible Foam Sofa and Foldable Play Mat 】A foldable and lightweight design makes it suitable for A Fun And Functional Addition To Any Kids Room,Great for kids area,Kids can jump on it, smash it against the wall, spill water and so on.
- 【Size and Certification 】Bed: 60"H *80"W *8"L. Sofa: 16"H *80"W *8"L； Foam is CertiPUR US certified for safe materials and physical performance
Things to Consider with a Folding Mattress
Before making a purchase, consider your needs and wants, so you make the right decision. Quite a few factors go into a folding mattress, and though they all seem the same, they each have different advantages. Find the right one for you with the information below.
Folding mattresses come with two material options for the cover, polyester or cotton. However, someday in the near future, bamboo – the top choice does offer bamboo, which is one of it’s best benefits – will become an option too for those concerned about the environment. For the most part, folding mattresses do not stick to the strict guidelines of an environmentalist.
Another consideration for the cover is whether it comes off the mattress for washing or not. If you have children or pets, a removable cover is a no brainer. However, if you have a teen or college student in a dorm or an adult-only space, a removable cover may not be a necessity.
Throughout the article, we have covered quite a few ways to use a folding mattress. The options are only limited by imaginations! Use the mattress for working out, as a safe place for babies and toddlers to play, as a guest bed, and as a lounger.
You also need to consider the size. If you don’t have a big space, then you will not want to pick a smaller size, such as a full or a twin mattress. As always, measure before buying, especially if you are planning to use a folding mattress in a tiny home, tent, or RV.
Finally, you need to consider portability. If you are planning on using a mattress in a tent, it needs a carrying bag or at least have handles to make carrying it easier. However, if you will be leaving the mattress in one room in your home, a carrying case may just take up extra space you don’t have available.
Questions About Folding Mattresses
What are some other portable or easy to store bed options?
Some other options of affordable bedding include a sleeping bag, a roll-away bed, a cot, a sleeper sofa, or a futon. A roll-away bed or cot definitely store easier than the others, but a sleeper sofa tends to be the most comfortable option.
Should some people avoid folding mattresses?
People with back or knee problems should avoid using folding mattresses on the floor as getting up and down may cause issues. Also, do not use a folding mattress in a crib as babies can get stuck in the gaps and cause issues with their breathing. Otherwise, most everyone can use a folding mattress.
Will my guests be able to feel the folds when sleeping?
For the most part, no, your guests will not feel the folds. They may seem noticeable at first, but once they fall asleep, they will not feel the gaps as the mattresses usually fold tightly to avoid feeling the seams. Some very picky people will notice the gaps, which is something to consider. Remember, folding mattresses are a short-term sleep option, not a permanent option, so one night of less than ideal sleep shouldn’t completely affect your choice or your budget.
Here’s a good YouTube video walking you through one of the mattresses in our roundup:
Wrapping Up Folding Mattresses
The Milliard Tri-Folding Memory Foam Mattress offers all of the functions and comfort you are looking for in a folding mattress. It has all the features you need as it folds compactly, has a removable and washable cover, and comes CertiPUR-US certified. Also, this bed uses six inches of foam and memory foam with high ratings to offer comfort and support short-term. Finally, the mattress uses environmentally friendly bamboo to cover the mattress with slip-resistance on the cover. Now you are ready for guests!
Last Updated on