The Top 10 Pillows for Side Sleepers Reviewed
Side sleepers tend to put a lot of pressure on their shoulders and upper arms while sleeping because their head lies on the pillow, which lies on their arm. The right pillow can help to take the pressure off your neck, arm, and shoulders while also helping to correct the position of your spin. That’s a lot to expect from a pillow!
Side sleepers are also more likely to get neck lines and wrinkles. Also, because your body is out of alignment when you side sleep, you end up putting pressure on your lower back. You can help with not just a side sleeper pillow but also with a pillow between your knees. Side sleepers have a ton of options, and we found the best, plus read the buying guy and FAQ section below to make sure you know all the best options.
Before you spend another night with a subpar pillow, take a look at the ten best pillows designed for your specific sleeping needs. From unique shapes to memory foam and more, we found the best options so you can finally get a good nights sleep without trying to force yourself to try again to learn to sleep on your back. We did all the work, and from one side sleeper to another, we know exactly what you are looking for and even gave options!
Best Pillows for Side Sleepers
These are our picks for the best pillows for side sleepers:
Many pillows are made to accommodate every style of sleeper, but the Ocesoph Ergonomic Cervical Pillow for Neck Pain-for Side Sleepers was made just for us side sleepers. Ocesoph also makes a larger version of this pillow to work for other sleepers, but the unique needs of side sleepers require the 13 x 23.6-inch length. Moreover, this pillow comes with a unique design to cradle you in all the right spots for a better alignment while sleeping.
If you wanted a cervical pillow made of memory foam, then look no further as this one comes with a 3-5 second slow rebound to distribute body weight evenly. It comes with a medium to soft firmness to both support you and cradle your head. Furthermore, it reduces head, neck, and shoulder pain. The pillow can even reduce snoring by promoting spinal alignment and thereby opening up your airway.
Even better, the pillow comes with a removable pillowcase. It keeps your skin cool, and it’s machine washable without having to wash the entire pillow. Memory foam isn’t very washable, so make sure to use a pillow protector if at all possible. Only time will tell if this pillow will work for you, but if it doesn’t, you can return it for a refund.
- Ergonomic Design: The contour pillow maintains the natural curve of the neck with cervical contour to support your neck properly. It is designed to firmly support the head, neck and shoulders, there is no burden on the body.
- Premium Memory Foam: 3-5 seconds slow rebound, distributing body weight evenly. Medium-to-soft firmness feel, ensure superior sleeping comfort.
- Neck Pain Relief and Reduce Snoring: The pillows for sleeping effectively supports your head, neck, shoulder and upper back, relieves neck pain and promotes spinal alignment. It promotes natural traction for the neck and smooth breathing to reduce snoring, improving the quality of the sleep.
- Breathable and Removable Pillow Case: Breathable fabric pillow case will keep cool and keep from moisture. The pillow case is removable and machine washable.
- 100% Satisfaction Promise: If you aren’t satisfied with the product or damaged in shipping, simply let us know and we will either replace it or refund your money, your choice!
The Coisum Cervical Adjustable Memory Foam Neck Support Pillow offers a similar shape to the Ocesoph pillow above but with a little more targeted shape sure to be the perfect option for many side sleepers. Like most pillows, this one also works well for back sleepers but still comes with a unique shape worthy of checking out.
A contoured shape adapts to your cervical spine to reduce pressure on your skull while you sleep. This means it supports your neck, which is needed as most pillows are a single shape, and yet your head and neck are not a single shape. Finally, a pillow shaped the way you are instead of you needing to hope a pillow will adjust to your shape.
The thick slope keeps your head from rolling out of a stable position and comes with cutouts for your arms and shoulders, so you don’t have to hunch into your pillow. For side sleepers, the height is close to the width of your shoulder, so you don’t end up waking up with shoulder discomfort or neck pain.
Lastly, the pillow comes with a detachable 0.8-inch memory foam layer to adjust the loft height to suit your size. This is on top of the already memory foam filled pillow with medium softness. It also includes a high thread count knit cover. Finally, get the height you need where you need for the best sleep possible.
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN TO RELIEVE NECK/SHOULDER PAIN】The contoured shape adapts to your cervical spine, which helps to reduce the pressure of your skull when you sleep on back. The slope keeps your head from rolling out of stable position, and the cutouts on the side give your arm a place to rest and keep it at an angle so your shoulder is not hunching over in front of you. That’s why our pillow KEEP NECK & SHOULDER PAIN/ACHES/SORES AWAY FROM YOU.
- 【PILLOW FOR SIDE SLEEPERS & BACK SLEEPERS】Our Coisum specially adopted LOWER MIDDLE, HIGHER SIDES design, offering different level of supports for back sleeping and side sleeping. As a back sleeper pillow, it provides lower support for back sleepers, cradling your neck perfectly to KEEP YOUR SPINE IN NATURAL CURVE. As a side sleeper pillow, its height is close to the width of shoulder, so it WON’T PRESS YOUR SHOULDER to make you feel sore/pain.
- ♥【ADJUSTABLE LOFT TO MEET DIFFERENT NEEDS】a detachable 0.8 inch memory foam layer allows you to adjust the loft height to your needs, offering different height options for optimal support. If you think this pillow is too high or too thick , just open the zipper and take the adjustable layer out.
- 【DURABLE MEMORY FOAM, BREATHABLE COVER】Coisum foam pillow is made of High-quality Memory Foam, it has a medium hardness. It has a feature of temperature sensing, making the pillow moldable to provide long lasting comfort for hours, and it will retain its shape, won't go flat, night after night, without deforming! High thread-count Knitted fabric cover keep your neck and skin dry and comfortable all night.
- 【BEST HEALTH CARE GIFT】No harmful chemicals were used in memory foam. It offers a comfortable sleeping, and has a exquisite appearance, perfect for elderly, office workers, people who sits all day or who has a chronic cervical vertebra issue. It’s a good present to show your care to somebody you love.
Get a gently rolling contour shape with the Vesgantti Memory Foam Pillow 4 Layers Adjustable Height. The shape gives you two options for neck and shoulder support. Choose either the higher or lower side to better suit your needs, but the higher side keeps your shoulder from scrunch up into your neck, causing wrinkles. Traditional pillows cannot provide an ergonomic pillow to reduce pressure points.
Memory foam means the pillow will keep its shape for years. Moreover, it helps to align the spine and relieve pain in your neck, head, shoulder, and improve your quality of sleep. The pillow uses different density foam to provide various combinations of firmness for targeted support. This also helps to improve the life of your pillow, so it’s ready to support you for years to come.
The only reason the pillow is lower on the list is the cover is made of 100% polyester meaning it’s not breathable and will trap heat which memory foam also does. If you tend to overheat at night, this is not the pillow for you. The pillow comes vacuum sealed and can take up to two days to completely fluff out to its full shape.
Finally, the pillow’s cover zips off for machine washing. You should still get a pillowcase to go over the case and not use it alone as memory foam tends to be difficult to wash. If you don’t like the layout of the foam layers, just unzip, change the layers, and get the exact support you crave and need.
- 【 Height Adjustable Memory Foam Pillow 】- Vesgantti Bed Pillows are designed to contour to the unique shape of the body to help support your head and neck. The height of cervical pillow is adjustable with 4 layers different-thickness foam,removing whatever foam layer allows it to be perfect for back,stomach, and side sleepers.
- 【 Ergonomic Design for Neck Support 】- Vesgantti orthopedic contour pillow is ergonomically designed- different heights in two side,helps align the spine and relieve pain in your head, neck and shoulders, whilst retaining shape after regular use, making this an best pillow for improving sleep and relieving neck and shoulder pain.
- 【Supportive Orthopedic Firm Pillow】- Vesgantti Memory foam Pillow is firmer than traditional pillows with high-density high-density sponge,can retain its shape and not go flat easily. Different density foam provide various of combinations for different firmness requirements, ensuring perfect head and neck support throughout the night.
- 【 Queen Size & Premium Material 】- Measures Full Size: 23.6” x 15” x 4.7” / 5.5” ; Material: Ultra Soft & Removable Breathable Cover - 100% Polyester,The Removable Zipper machine washable cover ensure a fresh and clean sleep experience night after night. Different density foam: 1st Layer - Gel memory foam,2nd Layer - Breathable baby foam, 3rd Layer - Memory foam, 4th Layer - PU support base foam.
- 【 A Great Pillow for Everyone 】- Our Bed Sleeping Pillow is vacuum sealed and neatly rolled in a box.After unpacking,it will take several minutes to recover its shape,and take 12-72 hours to get fully Fluffy. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your Adjustable Cervical Pillow, please reach out to the Vesgantti Team directly!
Side sleepers who don’t want a contoured shape may fall in love with the INGALIK Shredded Memory Foam Pillow for Side Sleeper with Cooling Gel. You get several size options, including standard, queen, or king, and you can even get two packs to save a few bucks. The best part of the pillow is it uses shredded memory foam to keep the pillow soft and malleable.
The cover is made with viscose rayon from bamboo and polyester to give both a little breathability and warmth. The bamboo means the pillow can absorb moisture, so you sleep dry every night. Thanks to the memory foam, the pillow rebounds back to its original shape quickly after use. Moreover, you can unzip the double zippers to re-fluff and reposition the shredded foam as you see fit.
Lastly, the shredded foam moves around to mold to your body for ultimate comfort. However, the pillow may not offer dedicated support and focuses more on comfort. If you wake up regularly with sore shoulders or neck pain, you may want to pick a contoured pillow instead.
- 💖WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW-INGALIK memory foam pillow have two sizes:KING (20 * 36Inch) and QUEEN (20 * 30Inch) Cover is 300g bamboo fiber air layer,filling is made of blue shredded memory foam and fiber.And it has ADDITIONAL shredded memory foam FILLING PACK.We mark the size on the outer box,it can help you to know the size.
- 💖YOU WILL LOVE!-It has a total of 2 layers, the outer layer is a bamboo fiber air layer. The inner layer is TC cloth.Filled shredded memory foam can rebound quickly after prolonged pressure.The most afraid of sweating when sleeping in the hot summer,don't worry about this problem after using it.
- 💖FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL-One of the benefits of the shredded memory foam pillow is that it is adjustable. Whether you like high pillows or low pillow, you can adjust the pillow to the height you want.The additional shredded memory foam filling pack can be used to hold shredded memory foam you do n’t need.
- 💖WHAT WE CARE MOST-Safety.Of cause!INGALIK as a brand, all products are subject to strict quality inspection,detailed to one stitch and one thread.Pillows fit your skin and determine the quality of people ’s sleep.Every procedure in the clean production environment.You can buy with confidence.
- 💖OUR COMMITMENT,ALSO OUR RESPONSIBILITY-30 days after purchase, there is no reason to return, so that the quality of our products is our sole purpose, and customer satisfaction is our goal pursue. Just buy what you like, and leave the rest to us.
Moving back to contoured pillows, the BODESY Contour Memory Foam Bed Pillow provides pain-free sleep with leveled support. With the high side of the pillow under your neck, you get targeted support with an ergonomic design ready to keep your body aligned for pressure relieving sleep. Even better, like the other pillows, this one is made with memory foam, the most comfortable material for both support and cushion.
The memory foam rebounds to regain its shape night after night for years. However, if your pillow doesn’t meet your high standards, you can try the pillow for 48 nights worry-free. Moreover, it comes with a removable and washable cover that breathes, so you get circulating air while you sleep.
Also, the pillow comes with a slight indent in the middle on the high side to make your arm or shoulder more comfortable. If you tend to sleep on your side and back, this pillow adjusts to suit both sleep style. Mind you, as with all pillows, it can take two weeks for your body to fully adjust to the new, improved sleep position.
Last of all, you get a hypoallergenic, breathable fabric that resists dust mites. You can take the cover off and toss it in the wash, but as always, keeps the cover covered with a pillowcase to protect the long life of your new orthopedic pillow. The only reason the pillow is lower on the list is a 100% polyester cover, which comes with a textured weave to improve breathability, but honestly, the pillow will be uncomfortable for hot sleepers.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Proven contour design perfectly supports and aligns your head, neck, shoulder and back. You will fall asleep faster and deeper. It is possible for you to experience some discomfort during the first two weeks while your body is trying to adjust to the correct position. The ergonomic design promotes muscle relaxation, reduces neck, shoulders and back pain, and alleviates shoulder stiffness.
- HIGH QUALITY SLOW REBOUND INNER MEMORY FOAM - Bodessy cervical pillow is made of Premium Memory Foam, it has a medium firmness.
- BREATHABLE PILLOW CASES - The skin-friendly pillowcases is REMOVABLE and WASHABLE. A breathable surface lets air circulate to keep the pillow cool while you sleep.
- 100% WORRY FREE - We are so confident in the quality of our pillow and we offer 48 day satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with it for any reason, just contact us (through Amazon or our official social media pages) to return the product for a full refund. Enjoy your sweet dream with Bodessy memory foam pillow.
For side sleepers who don’t want or like memory foam, Serta has you covered with their 300 Thread Count White Down Fiber Bed Pillow-Side Sleeper. The pillow comes in two sizes, either king or jumbo size, and do not use foam for padding, but they do offer a lot of value. However, the price is a little high but was designed for side sleepers in mind.
The pillow provides a 100 percent cotton cover with 300 thread count for high quality. Inside, it’s filled with 75 percent white down fiber and 25 percent white feather fiber. Using an innovative FreshLoft process ensures the feather down is free from dust, dirt, and allergens. It also uses 500 fill power and two-inch gussets on the side, which is what side sleepers need.
Pillows with just the one seam all around tend to flatten easier, whereas with two seems, the pillow maintains its shape. It’s extra stuffed to provide the medium-firm softness you need for neck and head support. Mind you, if you pick the jumbo size, you may need to find or make special pillowcases because of the extra size and width.
- 300 Thread Count/ 100% Cotton Cover
- Fille with hypoallergenic 75% White Down Fiber/ 25% White Feather Fiber; FreshLOFT process ensures that the feather/down material is clean of dust, dirt and allergens.
- 500 Fill Power
- 2'' gussets design- perfect for side sleeper
- Available in Jumbo 18”x26”x2'' 36oz fill; King size 18”x34”x2'' 46oz fill
Some side sleepers end up experiencing ear pain from added pressure on one ear. The PureComfort – Side Sleeping Pillow was made specifically with these sleepers in mind. With ears in mind, the oddly shaped pillow provides cutouts for your ears to reduce pressure and help relieve pain. The pillow also works great for people who use CPAP machines while side sleeping.
The pillow is made of memory foam with a fully adjustable height insert so you can customize the pillow to your comfort preferences. Moreover, the pillow’s longer shape allows your pillow to rest comfortably without your ear sitting on your wrist. This translates to less shoulder pain, arm pain, ear pain, and more. Even better, the pillow comes with all the correct certification to know you have the healthiest memory foam available.
Next, the cover is both hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant, thanks to a soft bamboo cover. It’s perfect for those with allergies, and it’s machine washable too. As a matter of fact, the pillow comes with a five-year warranty, and you can return it within 100 nights for a refund, no questions asked.
Finally, this special side sleeper pillow provides better circulation and reduces pressure better than a standard pillow. All this with a reasonable price for the unique shape and all the benefits the pillow allows. Try it tonight if you tend to have blocked ears or ear pain.
- EAR PAIN AND EAR PRESSURE CNH RELIEF. The first pillow designed specifically for SIDE SLEEPERS! The pillow features ear cutouts to eliminate ear pain during the night. The pillow is also designed to reduce overall facial pressure while you sleep (see our heatmap!). Also great for CPAP users.
- CertiPUR Certified memory foam. FULLY ADJUSTABLE PILLOW. Use our HEIGHT INSERTS to fine tune the pillow to your specific comfort preference. Great for reducing neck pain.
- REST ASSURED – Our pillows meet the CertiPUR-US standards for content, emissions and durability, and are analyzed by independent, accredited testing labs. Our pillows are made without PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP flame retardants, mercury, lead and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates. WHAT IS IN YOUR PILLOW? No smell like those other memory foam pillows.
- HYPOALLERGENIC & DUST MITE RESISTANT SOFT BAMBOO COVER - allergy sufferers no longer need to compromise comfort! EASY TO CARE FOR - MACHINE WASHABLE - 5 Year Warranty
- We guarantee you'll love the pillow, and if you aren't absolutely satisfied, return it within 100 days for a refund, no questions asked.
Sleepers who want a little bit of a contoured shape without the added height, the Maywind Orthopedic Contour Memory Foam Ergonomic Pillow may fit the bill. It comes with high ratings and a midrange price perfect for most budgets. What’s really unique about this pillow is the natural curve and unique cover. Let’s take a look.
First, the pillow comes with a rounded shape with a little lift at the bottom to provide comfort for your shoulders. It supports your neck, head, and shoulders while working for any style sleeper but works perfectly for side sleepers because of the gentle slope. You can relax into the pillow and get a better sleep poster for quality sleep.
Second, the traction pillow’s unique shape comes with memory foam to conform to your body. You can adjust the height for better posture, open airways, and better quality sleep. Moreover, the pillow uses proprietary material to maintain temperature and sensitive skin. The hollow silk soft technology is soft and comfy, with a little bit of stretch for breathability. Manage overheating with this unique pillow designed to regulate temperature no matter how much you shift in the night.
Finally, the pillow provides an armrest space and targeted memory foam right over your arm for ultimate comfort. No more waking up with fatigue or numb arms. A slightly concave shape inside the pillow works best for your face and to reduce ear pressure too, Even if you lay only partially.
- Maywind natural curve pillow with contoured design follows the natural curve of your head to properly support your neck, head and shoulders when you sleep on your back. Plus it is available in relaxing neck and back pain through maintaining a good sleep posture, improve the user's sleep quality and duration to promote a faster sleep for the users.
- Unlike other pillows it will keep the shape for years to come. The Maywind traction pillow is unique shape follows the curve of your body for ultimate support. Height can be adjusted to the sleeping position through the 3D ergonomic design. It will correct your sleeping posture and let you breath easier, help sleep with enough oxygen to the brain.
- With proprietary material not only adapts to your head shape and temperature for personalized support, it is also safe for eczema and sensitive skin. The hollow silk soft technology maximizes softness and coziness, and also makes the product light and stretchy. Breathable pillow cover made with a soft , knit fabric that is removable and washable as well.
- A proper pillow is key to a great night's sleep, and this pillow - an alternative to down - features advanced Thermo Balance technology that quickly disperses heat for comfortable, even temperature regulation. It also adjusts to the movement of your head and neck for continuous comfort and support, it's an essential for back or side sleepers.
- Our pursuit is that everyone should sleep on a good quality pillow. Made of High density thermostatic memory foam, Maywind health-promoting pillow brings you more than just comfort, it is also ventilated due to the small high quality strategically placed air holes. (Sizes: 23.62*14.57*4.13 in / 60*37*10.5cm)
How does a pillow made to the exact specification of a side sleeper sound? That’s exactly what you get from the Drift The Scrumptious Side Sleeper Pillow. It’s the length of a regular pillow but with a cut out where your neck goes with longer sides and gusseting for support. The pillow provides extra space for your arm while letting your neck rest where it needs to for perfect comfort.
Ordinary pillows may be great for back sleepers, but side sleepers need a unique shape to encourage the correct ergonomic alignment. Inside the pillow, you will also find superior copper infused foam. This foam allows for effective cooling and is naturally antibacterial to keep you fresh all night long. While it’s not memory foam, but it’s thinner and stronger than silk for incredible comfort.
Finally, a hidden zipper allows you to have the fluff where you need it with a little bit of rearranging. Try the pillow risk-free for sixty days. Also, get proper neck alignment for side sleepers to get the best night of sleep. Pair it with a knee pillow for perfect comfort and support. If you want a slightly smaller size, try the Honeydew pillow by the same brand.
- Drift is now HONEYDEW SLEEP COMPANY! Same great pillow, same family business, every bit as scrumptious as before :)
- INCREDIBLY SUPPORTIVE, YET DELICIOUSLY SOFT - We craft all of our fill ourselves, giving this pillow a feel that is entirely unique. It really is supportive and soft, both!
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT - A Hidden Zipper Allows You to Have the Perfect Pillow For You
- Maintains Proper Neck Alignment Which Can IMPROVE BREATHING and REDUCE OR ELIMINATE SNORING
- 60 DAY RISK FREE TRIAL - FREE RETURN SHIPPING - Made By Hand In Los Angeles
Gusseted pillows like the Luxury Side Sleeper Pillows by Utopia Bedding provides an extremely affordable set of two pillows for side sleepers. Pick from queen or king size and even gray gussets or navy. The pillows are filled with extra padding for a medium-firm blend with top quality material to ensure the best sleep possible.
While any style sleeper can enjoy the pillow, it’s designed with you in mind. Cotton surrounds the outside of the pillow but doesn’t come off, meaning you can’t wash the pillows at home. You will need to dry clean the pillows, or instead, you should consider a pillow protector case to keep your pillow super clean.
The pillows may take two to three days to expand to their full height. Also, they are filled with down alternative instead of memory foam for those who have an allergy or just want a more traditional pillow. What you get is a pillow with a standard shape perfect for allergies. They may actually be a little too high for your head, though, but this works out well if you suffer from shoulder pain.
- GUSSET PILLOW PACK - Pack of 2 white cotton gusset pillows with a grey piping and double stitching that gives a luxurious look to the pillows and also enhances durability
- DIMENSIONS - Each king size pillow measures 18 x 36 inches
- MEDIUM-FIRM BLEND FILLING - The medium-firm blend filling and the top quality material ensures a long night's sleep without any interruptions
- IDEAL CHOICE - An ideal choice for side, stomach and back sleepers as these pillows are highly versatile at work and offer maximum comfort for any sleeping position
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS - Recommended to dry-clean only to give a prolonged life to the pillows
Buying Guide for Pillows For Side Sleepers
You would think pillows for side sleepers would all be relatively similar, but they aren’t, and that’s because even side sleepers sleep differently. Take a look at all of the features that go into making a perfect pillow for side sleepers.
The Trifecta for Pillow
The perfect side sleeping pillow provides proper neck support, knee support, and stomach support. Sorry, pillows cannot do all three at once except maybe a body pillow, and even that doesn’t do a perfect job. Do not underestimate the benefit of trying out a pregnancy pillow because they are built with all three of these in mind. Otherwise, you may need to get a pillow for your neck, knee, and stomach to get the best alignment.
Shape & Size
Some side sleeper pillows look like the typical rectangular pillow found everywhere. These are a decent shape but not always the right option for everyone. Side sleepers often need longer pillows like a king-size to accommodate their arm too. Other pillows offer a contoured shape better suited to the needs of a side sleeper.
The only way to know which works best for you is to try out several shapes. We suggest trying a contoured, an L-shaped, or pillows with different heights, and even a body pillow to find the best option for you. Which every shape you look for try and find one with enough length to allow your arm to fall where it naturally wants to lie.
Another thing to consider with a memory foam pillow is the material but not just the internal or external material but also the loft of the pillow-like shredded or solid memory foam. If you want a firmer pillow, choose solid foam, but if you prefer softer more pliable material, than choose shredded or down alternative innards.
Most side sleeper pillows us either cotton, polyester, bamboo, or a blend for the external cover. Polyester doesn’t wrinkle but doesn’t breathe well, so only choose this option if you are cold at night. Otherwise, you may want to choose cotton or bamboo, which wrinkles more but also breathe better to keep you cool all night long.
Finding a pillowcase for an odd shape pillow is basically impossible, leaving you only a couple of options. First, you can do what most people do and simply use a normal shaped pillowcase and learn to deal with the pillowcase shifting around more and causing creases. Second, you can sew your own pillowcase or ask someone else to make a custom fit case for your pillow. Either way, you go, you may want to keep a regular pillow around to decorate the bed and find another place to put your custom shaped pillow.
Style of Side Sleeper
Side sleepers can sleep in a few different ways. First, let’s discuss what side people sleep on, and that only leaves two options – the right or the left. If you didn’t already know, it’s best to sleep on your left side because it correctly lines up your bladder and internal organs for optimal use. The best you can do is try falling asleep on your left side and hope you stay there!
There are three types of side sleepers the straight line, the fetal position, and the arms out. The first is easy to recognize, they sleep in a straight line with their arms down by your side. The fetal position usually sleeps with their legs up and usually one arm under their head. The last is the arms out, and that’s usually paired with legs straight out. Figuring out how you sleep usually helps you make a better decision pillow wise.
Side Sleeping Advantages
While side sleeping can cause problems, there are some advantages. For one, this position can provide better spinal alignment with the proper pillows. It’s also the better option for those who suffer from acid reflux because it helps your internal organs line up properly if you sleep on your left side.
Yes, side sleeping provides improved circulation, airways, and reduce heartburn. Again only if you sleep on your left side as right side sleeping can make the problem worse. Moreover, side sleeping can even reduce snoring, especially for those with sleep apnea because it opens up your airways better than sleeping on your back or your stomach.
Side Sleeping Disadvantages
Side sleeping can cause a few problems. First, if you can only sleep on your right side, you are putting a lot of pressure on your body and not just the same arm and shoulder but your internal organs too. Even sleeping on your left side can cause problems for people suffering from liver, stomach, or lung problems.
Sleeping in a fetal position can increase arthritis, restrict your diaphragm, and can even lead to an inability to breathe deeply. Those with arthritis may have circulatory issues in this position. You may need to consider learning to sleep with your legs and arms down for the best advantage for your body.
Finally, side sleeping can put a lot of pressure on your ears and even on your teeth at least compared to back sleeping. This can cause unnecessary pressure and pain. If you have problems with TMJ or get frequent ear pain or infections, you may want to find ways to reduce pressure. While it can take a while, an adjustable bed frame may help you to train to sleep on your back.
Questions About Pillows For Side Sleepers
What other things can I do to make sure side sleeping is more comfortable?
More pillows! Yes, you might want to consider a knee pillow, a stomach pillow, and even a pillow to rest your arm on like the Sleep Yoga BP-SY02 Side Sleeper Arm Rest Pillow. Also, if you haven’t switched to a memory foam mattress yet, then you need to consider doing so now. No matter what position you sleep in, a memory foam mattress will help to correctly align your body and cradle you completely.
For more information on how to properly sleep on your side, watch this video:
I’m pregnant and a side sleeper, is it safe to sleep on my side?
Actually, sleeping on your left side is the best option for pregnant women. Side sleeping helps your internal organs function better and improve circulation. It also helps to take the pressure off of your back too. If you are pregnant and have issues sleeping on your side, then you may want to look into pregnancy pillows. These also help you to stay more comfortable with all the extra upfront weight.
How can I prevent wrinkles and necklines when side sleeping?
The first thing you need to do is correct your alignment. If you are like me, you tilt your head when you sleep, and this can cause extra stress on your neck and cause necklines. Also, side sleepers put their face on their pillow, whereas back sleepers put their pillows under their hair, so they only thing that gets wrinkled is their hair. This means lines from the pillow etch into your face!
To fix the problem, you can do a couple of things. First, get a silk pillowcase because it doesn’t wrinkle, and it’s super smooth on your skin. Second, you can wear a neck brace or silicone neck wrap to keep the pillow from leaving marks on your neck, and it helps to keep your neck aligned.
Final Thoughts About Pillows For Side Sleepers
Side sleepers need a contoured memory foam pillow for the best spinal alignment and epic amounts of comfort. If you still can’t decide, we suggest the Ocesoph Ergonomic Cervical Pillow for Neck Pain-for Side Sleepers because it offers everything you want and everything you need to reduce pain, provide alignment, and finally get the best sleep of your night. Yes, you can use a regular pillow, but a targeted design will give you the perfect night of sleep to improve your days.
Last Updated on