The Top 5 Pillows for Back Sleepers Reviewed
No matter what position you naturally sleep in, investing in a comfortable pillow is a no-brainer. But, with the number of options on the market, finding the perfect pillow to rest your head on can be a little overwhelming, especially if you sleep on your back.
Back sleepers benefit best from pillows that can ensure their head is slightly raised in order to promote a natural spinal alignment, which is why we recommend a firmness rating of medium-firm.
Not only will you feel more comfortable, but you’ll also be ensuring that the contours of your head, neck, and shoulders are also supported, which will reduce the chance of strain, as well as helping you to get a well-rested sleep, night after night.
In this article, we have selected some of the best pillows for back sleepers and provided an unbiased review of each. We’ve also created a buyer’s guide to help you learn all about why back sleepers need a specific kind of pillow, as well as answering any questions that you may have.
Best Pillows for Back Sleepers
One of the great things about this pillow is the ability to adjust the filling to achieve the ideal loft for you. It comes with an extra half a pound of stuffing which you can add to the pillow if you want it to be more fluffy and full. Similarly, you can also remove the stuffing to achieve a lower loft if you’d rather it to be more flat.
Thanks to the adjustable foam fill option, this innovative pillow allows you to create the perfect positioning for your neck and back, which in turn promotes a better spinal alignment and results in a much more enjoyable and comfortable sleep.
Made with your comfort in mind, the Coop Home Goods Pillow is also stuffed with shredded visco elastic memory foam, which allows for a greater airflow and flexibility than a solid piece of memory foam could.
When in use, the memory foam pieces will contour to your neck to provide instant support, all the while remaining flexible enough to allow you to change sleeping positions throughout the night, ‘moving’ with you and readjusting itself to offer the greatest amount of support.
Additionally, it also comes with a removable viscose rayon cover designed to help you to stay nice and cool throughout the night thanks to a proprietary blend of polyester (60%) and bamboo (40%) that offers better ventilation and helps to regulate your temperature.
Here’s why it’s so great for back sleepers:
- You can customize it to achieve the right amount of balance and support for your neck, back and shoulder area
- The case is made with proprietary lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides extra softness and ventilation for added comfort
- The foam fill can be added to (or removed) to suit your shape and sleeping position for better alignment
- It is both hypoallergenic & dust mite resistant
- Medium-firm, which is the most ideal firmness rating for back sleepers
Did we mention that it also comes with an extra 1/2 lb bag of fill that you can add into your pillow if you want a higher loft? It’s supportive and great value for money.
- The shredded memory foam pieces allow greater flexibility, meaning that this pillow is suitable for back, stomach and side sleeping positions
- Suitable for vegans and cruelty free
- The adjustable loft ensures optimal comfort, as well as being able to promote correct spinal alignment
- Some do not like the triangular, decorative pattern across the cover
- FINALLY – YOU HAVE FOUND THE ONE! – Meet the world’s best adjustable pillow. Customize it to achieve just the right individual balance between support and comfort. Whether you are a side, back or stomach sleeper – this is the pillow for you! Get ready for the most restful sleep you can experience.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL – Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all signs of sleeping wrong. Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape or sleep position. SLEEP RIGHT! - Foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape, and sleep position. Sleep comfortably and aligned at last.
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? – Our Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No toxic or harmful chemicals here! IT`S 100% SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Vegan & Cruelty Free – no animals were harmed in the making of this awesome pillow.
- WE CARE – ONLY THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS USED! - The case is made with proprietary Lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides breathability and softness. Hypoallergenic & dust mite resistant, you can finally wake up refreshed. Unlike other pillows – we freshly manufacture our foam instead of using repurposed materials. A bonus ½ lb bag of fill is included with your order if you need a higher loft.
- YOUR BEST SLEEP EVER, GUARANTEED - You can now purchase with confidence. If you don’t fall in love within 100 nights (although we’re sure you will), contact us directly to return the pillow for a full refund, no questions asked. Each Coop Home Goods Original Adjustable Loft Pillow also comes with a 5-year warranty. MADE IN USA.
One of the main features that sets this pillow apart is the unique material formulation that fuses gel particles into the memory foam, which creates a more comfortable and ‘plush’ sleeping surface.
Not only that, this gusseted pillow contains a 4.5-inch loft which is the ideal angle for back sleepers, while the medium firmness rating ensures that the contours of your neck, shoulders, and back will be supported as you sleep, ensuring that you won’t wake up with muscle strains or a crick in your neck.
As well as this, the cool-pass performance knit cover is specifically designed to disperse body heat and wick away moisture to help you stay nice and cool, while its naturally hygienic and hypoallergenic properties are resistant to dust mites, mold, and bacteria, making this pillow ideal not only for those who sleep on their back but also those who are prone to allergies.
- Specifically designed to be compatible with back sleepers
- The gel-infused memory foam is responsive and readjusts itself as you move throughout the night to ensure optimum support
- Cool and breathable cover
- The loft is non-adjustable
- 22" W x 16" L x 6" H
- Gusseted pillow has a 4.5-inch loft-not too tall and not too short, perfect for side and back sleepers
- Cool gel-infused memory foam is responsive, creating perfect support for your head, neck, and shoulders
- Cool-pass performance knit cover is specifically designed to disperse body heat and wick away moisture for a more comfortable night's sleep
- Naturally hygienic and hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites, mold, and bacteria, not only perfect for allergy sufferers but for those who care about their sleep surface
The fill works to ensure that the neck and back are given the correct amount of support, ensuring that the spinal area maintains the correct posture for both a restful and healthy sleep.
It is generously filled with plush NaturesLoft fiberfill and encased within high-quality 100% cotton, ensuring that this luxurious pillow delivers comfort, use after use. A 2″ gusset ensures this pillow retains its loft for countless nights of comfort.
The filling is evenly distributed across the entire surface of the pillow for even support, while the quality of the fill ensures that the pillow maintains its plush fullness for many uses before needing to be replaced – this pillow is an excellent choice for those who truly value comfort.
Another useful feature that we love about this pillow is that it is machine washable. You can throw this pillow in the washer, and it will still maintain its original shape.
- Suitable to machine wash and dry, allowing the freshness of this pillow to be easily maintained
- Specially designed to support the neck, head, and spine
- The 2-inch gusset makes sure that the pillow is able to retain its loft, use after use
- The loft cannot be adjusted, so it may not be suitable for everyone
- SOFT TO THE TOUCH - 400-Thread count 100% Pima cotton fabric
- ALL NIGHT COMFORT - Filled with NaturesLoft fiberfill
- EXTRA FIRM SUPPORT - Perfect for back and side sleepers
- ULTIMATE LOFT - A 2" gusset enhances supportive features
Approved and used by top hotels and resorts around the world, this reliable pillow is a favorite for a reason. Offering a medium amount of firmness, this pillow is ideal for back sleepers and will offer just the right amount of support to keep your spine in proper alignment.
Aside from promoting a healthy spinal posture, this bestselling pillow is made of a gel fiber fill housed within a cotton case. The cotton is hypoallergenic and resists dust mites, making it great for those who have allergies or just want to ensure their pillow remains hygienic.
The gel fiberfill is responsive and ensures optimum comfort and a night of deep, restful sleep. Even if you happen to move positions or turn your head to the side, the innovative gel fiberfill will be able to re-contour itself to your neck, shoulders, and spine.
It has also been designed to feel as though you’re sleeping on a down feather pillow thanks to its 233 thread count so, rest assured, this pillow will make you feel as though you’re sleeping on a cloud.
- Comfortable and supportive
- The elegant pillow design will slot itself perfectly into different room interiors
- The polyester fiberfill gel ensures that the contours of the neck, back and spine are perfectly supported throughout the night
- Some find the loft to be too high
- GET A COMFORTABLE AND RESTFUL NIGHT'S SLEEP - A super comfortable 233 thread count and 100% Polyester Gel Fiber Fill with 100% Cotton Shell.
- ELEGANCE MEETS LUXURY - Elegant pillow design that emanates luxury and is best in class for top hotels and resorts throughout the world.
- SOFT BUT FIRM PILLOW BACK & STOMACH SLEEPER – Perfect for Back & Stomach Sleepers. Thanks to our high quality design, this pillow will never fall flat.
- AMAZING PRICE AND MAXIMUM COMFORT - Get maximum plush comfort for an incredible price.
- HOTEL & RESORT QUALITY - 100% guaranteed new. The pillow that 8,500 high quality Hotels & Resorts use. That's over 2 million hotel beds!
Unlike the other pillows we have included, the Ultra Slim Gel Pillow is less than 3 inches thick, making it one of the thinnest pillows on the market. This innovative flat pillow is amazing for back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and anyone who struggles with migraines and back pain.
This pillow is crafted with CertiPUR-US certified, gel-infused, and ventilated memory foam that has a thick density in order to offer exceptional comfort. Though memory foam isn’t known for being particularly breathable, the memory used within this pillow is open-cell with added ventilation holes to increase air circulation. Thanks to this, any and all heat build-up is kept to a minimum and helps to keep you nice and cool throughout the night – no more flipping over to the cool side!
Additionally, the outer mesh cover is made with 40% bamboo and 60% polyester. This premium mixture is able to remain cooler than cotton is able to, while also being able to effectively wick away moisture if you sweat throughout the night. It is also able to resist any odor being imparted onto the cover, so you can enjoy a pleasant sleep, use after use.
- It is hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, mold and mildew resistant, making it ideal for allergy-sufferers
- The durable design will serve you for a long time before needing to be replaced
- It is available in a variety of different sizes
- The memory foam contains added ventilation holes to help increase air circulation and keep you feeling cool as you sleep
- The inside of this pillow not machine washable
- STOMACH SLEEPING & MORE: Less than 3 inches high, this ultra low profile pillow for sleeping is designed for stomach, back, and even small-framed side sleepers whose head needs to be close to the mattress when sleeping. Thin and flat design may reduce snoring and improve shoulder, back and/or neck pain
- COOLING GEL-INFUSED: Infused gel particle technology absorbs and disperses excessive heat away from the sleeping surface
- ERGONOMIC VENTILATION: Ergonomic ventilation hole pattern increases air circulation in center of pillow to keep head cool while providing extra support for the neck
- SAFE CERTIPUR-US MEMORY FOAM: Dense, supportive memory foam is guaranteed free of harmful additives, hypoallergenic and low-odor
- FULL PILLOW SHAPE: This ultra thin pillow has a full pillow shape. While being quite flat, it is slightly rounded on both the top and bottom. If you flip your pillow during the night, this shape may suit your sleeping style.
Pillows for Back Sleepers – Buyer’s Guide
People who sleep on their backs can sometimes tend to use a pillow that is too soft or flat. Without the right shape or support, your spine can become poorly aligned, or you might feel a sharp, aching pain when you wake up in the morning (otherwise known as a crick). Therefore, choosing the appropriate pillow is vital to ensuring a restful and comfortable sleep. Keep reading to learn about some important factors to consider:
One of the most important factors that you should keep in mind before purchasing a pillow is how thick it is. When it comes to back-sleepers, the ideal pillow should be thick enough to fill in the gap between your back and mattress because this helps to keep your spine in the correct position and alignment. However, it shouldn’t be too thick that your neck is placed in an unnatural position.
When it comes to pillows that are suitable for back sleepers, you want to make sure that the pillow you select isn’t super firm. Therefore, a pillow with medium firmness is the best option as it provides just enough support so that your neck and head do not roll backward (potentially leading to muscle strains) all the while ensuring that the pillow still remains plush and fluffy.
The responsiveness of your pillow will make all the difference, especially if you find yourself switching positions throughout the night or fidgeting. The best pillows for back sleepers will be able to follow the natural contour of your neck and head. So, if you do happen to turn your neck sideways during your sleep, for example, your pillow will be able to respond to your movements and re-contour itself to your neck, upper back, and shoulders as you move in your sleep.
Another aspect you could consider is the material of your pillow. Here are some of the most common materials used;
- Memory foam – this is one of the most common materials used in pillows for back sleepers. It offers excellent support and comfort.
- Polyurethane – this is an affordable material that offers a good amount of support to the neck and shoulder area.
- Gel fiberfill – this is a newer material that is similar to memory foam, except it is known for its cooling properties.
- Bamboo – this material is known for offering a good level of firmness while still remaining a plush and comfortable feel.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best pillow for back sleepers?
The best pillows for back sleepers will be able to offer the correct loft, as well as being comfortable and supportive. If you select a pillow that is too soft, your neck and head will be more likely to be over-extend backward, which will lead to you waking up with muscle pain and strain! On the other hand, if you select a pillow that is too firm, you may end up feeling uncomfortable and unable to feel relaxed.
Therefore, we recommend choosing a pillow that offers a medium firmness rating with a loft of around 4.5 inches (or you could select a pillow that features an adjustable loft) as this will ensure that your spine’s natural curve remains in alignment, which will, in turn, ensure that your neck and shoulders remain in the correct position.
How does a pillow for back sleepers work?
Simply put, a sleeping pillow for back sleepers aims at offering support, distributing the weight of the body evenly, while conforming to the contour of the body. At the same time, it will fit the gap between the head and shoulder, so that the spine is perfectly aligned throughout the night. The best pillows for back sleepers often contain memory foam which is able to instantly mold itself to the contours of your neck, back and shoulders without feeling too firm or stiff.
Last Updated on